Kyodo News this week reported that Sony Corp. subdued the severity of the external breach of the Playstation Network according to document filed with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

In a chronology of events submitted by Sony to the ministry, the report says the company was aware on Apr. 25 U.S. time that a ‘fairly large amount of data’ was compromised.

On Apr. 26 U.S. time, the company stated in a press release that it ‘cannot not rule out the possibility’ that account information had been breached.

A Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. representative said it did not know what kind of data had been compromised at the time and did not want to confuse customers.

Sony June 2 fully restored all Playstation Network services, including the Playstation Store and Qriocity divisions in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia.

It subsequently made available a Welcome Back Program with free game titles and free months of subscription service to premium members.

The company said it is taking steps to prevent future attacks, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

Sony in May began sale of the PS3 160GB Call of Duty: Black Ops Bundle, which includes the PS3 160GB hardware, a copy of Activision Blizzard Inc.’s Call of Duty: Black Ops, the Call of Duty: Black Ops First Strike DLC Pack, and a Dualshock 3 Controller at $299.99.

Sony in May began sale of the Limited Edition PSP Entertainment Pack, which includes the PSP-3000 handheld, 2GB Memory Stick Pro, Gran Turismo, and MLB 11 The Show at $199.99.

Follow us on Twitter @PunchJump, @WeLoveHotDeals, @PreOrderBonus, and visit us at Facebook.


Comments are closed.